If persons receiving federal benefits do not opt-in for an electronic payment method by March 1, 2013 they will be automatically converted to a Direct Express® prepaid debit card so they will continue to receive their federal benefit by direct deposit without interruption. This is in response to the mandate by the U.S. Treasury that all Federal Benefits be paid by electronic payment by March 2013.
No bank account or credit check is required for the Direct Express® prepaid debit card. The card offers these services for free: U.S. purchases, cash-back with purchase, cash from bank tellers, customer service calls, web account access, deposit notification, low balance notification, ATM balance inquiry, one ATM transaction per month, after that .90 cents each. View full list of services/fees here.
You can enroll for the Direct Express® prepaid debit card before the deadline in one of the following ways.
- Enroll by phone by calling toll free 1-800-333-1795.
- Fill out the Direct Express Application Form and mail it in.
- Online enrollment at Direct Express is not available currently.
You can enroll as a benefit recipient or as a representative payee. You will need the following information to complete the application process:
- Social Security number or claim number
- 12-digit federal benefit check number
- Amount of most recent federal benefit check
- Financial institution’s routing number (9 digits on the left of your check)
- Account number and account type – checking or savings